Aim of the project: Our project is to develop an application that will enable the evaluation, in a multicenter, of radiomic or AI models proposed for the management of lung cancer patients. Multicenter validation of models remains indeed essential to consider their clinical use.
Methods: This application will actually be a new module added to LIFEx, a software we are developing, to easily describe a radiomic model. As for any module of this application, the libraries used will guarantee that the application remains free and autonomous (i.e. without installation of third party software). Interfacing with the ConSoRe platform, which is a Unicancer's Big Data platform, will later make it possible to combine features extracted from medical images and text included in the medical reports.
Impact: The main benefit will be to give medical teams a tool to evaluate radiomic and AI models on their own data, using models that have already been published or developed by colleagues. This large-scale, multicenter validation step provides information on the reliability and robustness of the models and is absolutely essential for clinical translation.
Problem to be solved: If the field of radiomics and AI in radiology and nuclear medicine is growing exponentially, the current major bottleneck is the difficulty to validate the many published models in order to establish their performance and clinical added value. Our project will make this evaluation possible in an independent way, via a public software guaranteeing the transparency of the results.
Target users: Our project will serve both the current users of LIFEx (10 Unicancer centers already use LIFEx, the 3600 users worldwide, including more than 700 in France) and future LIFEx users, given that we have about 100 new users every month. These are mainly radiologists, nuclear physicians, researchers and engineers involved in medical image analysis.
**************** LIFEx public version 7.0.0 *****************
What has been added, changed or updated in this new release?
Here is a list of the most notable additions, changes or updates in LIFEx v7.0.0:
- added: addition of a shortcut for the settings in the protocol frame - added: keyboard shortcut "P" to print the current view - improved: optimized use of the RAM for histogram calculation (series and ROI)
- improved: change from jdk-8 to jdk-16 which integrates the new java modules (jmod)
- improved: support of 4K, 5K, 8K display resolution
- improved: generation of the iconography (SVG->PNG) is done only once at the first start of the application.
- improved: add .deb (debian, ubuntu) .rpm (fedora, redhat) .aarch64 (M1 mac) packaging of LIFEx distribution
- changed: documentation and tutorials are now excluded from the application and become exclusively accessible through Internet
- changed: resources, log, properties, setting files are moved into .LIFExv.v.v directory of root user
- fixed issue: bad filename on some written nifti file
- added: Fat (W500 L-100) window leveling of CT contrast
- added: Laplacian, Mean, Law, Wavelet series filters
- improved: read series from NRRD file format
- improved: Not a Number (NaN) values are no longer visible now (with aplha=0) on images
- improved: DICOM-RealWorldValueSlope file no longer stops the opening of the other series on loading
- fixed issue: empty sub region on US DICOM format are not copied on b-mode base image
- fixed issue: CT DICOM images with bitsAllocated=16, bitsStored=16, highBit=15
- fixed issue: DICOM multi frames with enhanced class storage and without PerFrameFunctionalGroupsSequence) / FrameContentSequence / DimensionIndexValues
- fixed issue: "Radionuclide Total Dose" DICOM attribute is now in MBq for NM modality, and in Bq for PET modality
- fixed issue: acquisition time instead of serieTime is displayed on overlaid images
- fixed issue: patient size are now in "float" value while it was "int" before (impact scale factor SuvLbm)
- fixed issue: no interpolation needed when matrix loaded from nifti are exact inversion (-1) on Z, Y or X axis (only flip is executed)
- fixed issue: add IOP management on registration file (DICOM-REG)
- added: invert selection tool of ROI
- improved: read ROI from NRRD file format
- improved: new formatting of statistics in ROI box information
- improved: changed default names of ROI "C1...Cn" into new names "R1...Rn"
- downgrade: ROI file format before v4.00 is no longer supported - fixed issue: KeepOne ROI tool on large matrix
- improved: all results of features are set to NaN when they are not selected for calculation
- improved: CONV/DISCRETIZED_peak (0.5mL and 1mL) are accelerated (on 2D slices only)
- fixed issue: DISCRETIZED_HISTO_Skewness is removed (duplicate values with DISCRETIZED_Skewness)
- fixed issue: DISCRETIZED_HISTO_Kurtosis is removed (duplicate values with DISCRETIZED_Kurtosis
- fixed issue: DISCRETIZED_HISTO_Entropy_log2 and__log10 are corrected
- fixed issue: DISCRETIZED_HISTO_Energy is corrected
- fixed issue: unavailable 3d processing on GUI on 2D series
- added: Dmax (and other MTV features) feature is now available
- added (MTVNotation): add property "LIFEx.mtv.Frame.Annotation" to hide/show annotations ; none as default ; available options: none || fill
- added (MTVnotation): unvalid button on GUI
- changed (MTVnotation): minimal value of initial threshold is set to SUV 1.1
- changed (MTVnotation): empty ROI is now possible
- changed (MTVnotation): on result csv file, coordinate of SUVmax of selected ROI is written in place of mouse coordinate when clicking on ROI
- improved: greatly increased responsiveness when many ROIs are present
- improved: row of total results in csv file is now at the right place (right shift of one column).
- improved: add Center of mass(COM), sumBindCOM, avBindCOM, stdBindCOM, minBindCOM, maxBindCOM, avTotBindCOM on protocol
- fixed issue: no ROI creation if empty size
PT Compartmental analysis protocol:
- added: dicom-extension in nifti file from PMOD1 format of extension (Frame Start Times & Frame Duration)
- added: added the width of the "frame duration" on the dynamic chart
- added: added a weighting corresponding to the "duration frame" in the TAC output file in dft format
- improved: "frame acquisition time" is replaced by "frame reference time" on dft file
- improved: x and y units are adjustable before saving on dft file
Quality Control protocol:
- changed: rename of column title of field RedExternDiameterRatio by RedExternDiameter(mm) ; idem for GreenDiameterRatio and RedDiameterRatio
**************** LIFEx public version 6.30 *****************
What has been added, changed or updated in this new release?
Here is a list of the most notable additions, changes or updates in LIFEx v6.30:
-fixed issue: the display bug when translating an ROI
- fixed issue: "image position (patient) (IPP)" on nifti ROI file
- fixed issue: scale of ROI histogram
- fixed issue: time on MR dynamic images with "trigger time" DICOM field
- fixed issue (Labeling protocol): properties frame set to "Always On Top"
- fixed on display: The exposure expressed in mAs (and not in mA as before) in CT images
- fixed on display: The exposure in CT images is slice dependent (and not the same for all slices as before)
- added: byte format in tiff image
- added on display: peak kilo voltage output of the X-Ray generator used for CT images
- improved: faster loading of images
- improved: quick access to planar slice orientation directly on images
- improved: quick access to Y units (intensity, ...) and X units (time) settings directly on images
- improved: color change of text overlay on image (green text corresponds to settings that can be changed, while orange text shows settings that cannot be modified)
- improved: series tools are redefined
- improved: title "Edit" and "Tool" of ROI tools are now changed into "Create" and "Edit"
**************** LIFEx public version 6.20 *****************
version 6.20 - Fri Jui 9 19pm CEST 2020
What's been added, changed or updated in this new release?
Here's a list of the most notable additions, changes or updates in LIFEx v6.20
- added: Series merger tool
- added: writing of DICOM-RTStruct is available to save ROI
- added: internal frames in application ; by default, all application frames are now gathered in a single frame. The separated frame format can still be set using the parameter settings menu
- added: Sag alone layout template
- added: Cor alone layout template
- added: Laplacian of Gaussian image filter supported
- added (Texture protocol): availability of Laplacian of Gaussian filter before calculation
- added (Texture protocol): availability of Laplacian of Gaussian filter in texture script
- added (MTV protocol): addition of new ZYX spacing of series in xls file result
- fixed issue (Texture protocol): "Sorry, but no ROI is defined. Please define an ROI and start again" in texture scripts
- improved: properties file is now in xml format to support Russian characters
- improved: selected time frame of timing series for MIP display is available (and not fixed only at time 0)
- improved: opening multi-modalities dicom (example:CT + RT-STRUCT + RT-DOSE) in the same directory automatically creates their corresponding DICOMDIR
- deleted: all vertical layout protocols
RESEARCH USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR LIFEx SOFTWARE
USE OF THE LIFEx SOFTWARE IS SUBJECT TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE SOFTWARE.
NON-PROFESSIONAL USERS ARE NOTIFIED THAT THE SOFTWARE AND THE RISKS INHERENT TO ITS USE, MODIFICATION AND/OR DEVELOPMENT AND REPRODUCTION ARE NOT COVERED BY ANY WARRANTY ON THE PART OF THE CEA. IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU ONLY LOAD AND/OR USE THE SOFTWARE IF YOU HAVE SPECIALIZED IN-DEPTH INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY KNOW-HOW.
THE COMMISSARIAT A L’ENERGIE ATOMIQUE ET AUX ENERGIES ALTERNATIVES (FRENCH ATOMIC ENERGY AGENCY), a public scientific, technical and industrial establishment, having its registered office at 25 rue Leblanc – bâtiment le Ponant D – 75015 Paris cedex, hereinafter referred to as “CEA”, hereby licenses the right to use the LIFEx software as per the terms and conditions set out below.
This license is granted to the natural or legal person – hereinafter the “Licensee” – having completed the application form and loaded the Software.
Texture analysis is gaining considerable interest in medical imaging, in particular to identify parameters that might characterize tumor heterogeneity. We developed an easy-to-use freeware enabling calculation of a broad range of conventional, textural and shape indices from PET, MR, US and CT images.
The software is written in Java and does not rely on any commercial libraries. LIFEx is dedicated to researchers, radiologists, nuclear medicine physicians and oncologists that giving access to 42 histogram, textural and shape indices in addition to conventional indices and where users can change calculation options (e.g. resampling method and number of grey levels for textural analysis).